"The pace of modern Western life, with its fast food, express delivery, instant coffee, sell-by dates, speed-dating, speed-dialling, etc, as well as our reliance on clocks and the constant time pressure we seem to find ourselves under, would probably be absolutely incomprehensible to someone just a hundred years ago."
"There is general agreement among philosophers that time is continuous (i.e. we do not experience it as stopping and starting, or darting about at random), and that it has an intrinsic direction or order (i.e. we all agree that events progress from past to present to future)."
Meditation on Time
Philosophy of Time
The French phenomenologist and intuitionist philosopher Henri Bergson formulated a view of time that was neither a real homogeneous medium nor a mental construct, but possesses what he referred to as “duration”. He saw the apparently fluid flow of time as actually composed of a myriad tiny temporal particles, which are pieced together by our consciousness.
In the disconnected time streams in a potentially infinite number of parallel universes, some could be linear and others circular; time could continuously branch and bifurcate, or different time streams could even merge and fuse into one; the laws of causality and succession could break down or just not apply; etc, etc.
Psychology of Time
Marcel Proust’s monumental À la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time, 1913-27), though, ignores the constraints of linear time completely, constantly intermingling past and present.
Physics of Time
ASince Albert Einstein published his Theory of Relativity (the Special Theory in 1905, and the General Theory in 1916), our understanding of time has changed dramatically, and the traditional Newtonian idea of absolute time and space has been superseded by the notion of time as one dimension of space-time in special relativity, and of dynamically curved space-time in general relativity.
Time travel is not possible in Newtonian absolute time (we move deterministically and linearly forward into the future). Neither is it possible according to special relativity (we are constrained by our light cones).
Measurement of Time
We're on a mission to further the discussion on what connects the world around us. We want to publish thought-provoking essays on the essence of time, threading through our daily lives yet remaining an enigma beyond our full grasp.
We're looking for thoughtful essays, meditations, research projects, theses, capstones, book chapters on the following:
- Understanding or experiencing time - this can be exploring the time theory, defining specific aspects of it, or more literal in how time zones and time changes impact life. (Been looking for an essay on sporting events by time zone and ad spend)
- Physics or Natural Sciences
- Time travel & related theory
- Astrology & metaphysics
- Personal essays based on life experiences
- College or advance degree papers - for real, some of these are gold! Why not get published for it?
Submission & Publishing process
- We ask everyone to submit a pitch, no more than 1 page (shorter the better) to taruteam at gmail dot com including credentials or why you're the right person to write the article. We strongly encourage new authors, professors, and master's degree students to submit, but all are welcome. We get it. You must start somewhere!
- We strive to give everyone a response within 2-4 weeks.
- All authors receive full byline and author bio. Can include a photo at the choice of the author.
- Once selected, you'll work with our editing team (if needed) and polish the article for publication. We respect your time and try to keep everything to 1 revision at max.
- We pay $100 for features. If your work isn't selected as a feature, but passes our editorial team check, you're welcome to publish it on our platform as an essay.
If you're unsure whether you should submit, drop us a line. Our goal is to advance the conversation and give our platform to experts to share their work.
- Each post (essay or feature) will receive a citation and official link they can use for all academic or author platforms.
- We only publish original web properties; however, we do accept book samples with written consent from publishers.
- All authors can work with their editor to create one graphic or cover design they can use if they so choose.
- taruteam at gmail dot com
- 1 page pitch (two paragraphs are best) pasted directly in the body of the email
- include credentials